Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 1, 2011

When I woke up on May 1st, I checked my email and I got some unbelievable news from my friends - Osama bin Laden had been found.. and killed. At this point, I'm thinking this is fantastic; a real achievement. He is, after all, the reason why America embarked on this never ending War on Terrorism in the first place, right? I mean, true, somewhere along the lines good old President Bush lost sight of the goals and got involved in some other conflicts, but we entered with the intent to serve justice to the man behind the devastation in New York on 9/11 and in London on 7/7.  Finally, right? Obama got the intelligence, got in and got the man.


And now, two days later, the country is still in an uproar of celebration, and, to be honest, it makes me feel a bit ill.

Now, don't get me wrong, the atrocities that Osama bin Laden committed in his lifetime are inexcusable. He was a wretched man with a misguided soul that caused the murder of thousands of people worldwide and the weighing grief on thousands more. But, nonetheless, he was human being and such excessive celebration of his murder is out of place in any situation. No murder should warrant such widespread jubilance. To be honest, I will never make sense of the reasoning behind killing the people who kill other people, to demonstrate that killing people is wrong. 

I understand the gravity of the crimes committed by Osama bin Laden, but does it really take death to draw Americans together to share pride in their country? I, personally, think that Americans have so much to be proud of, and I think it's disconcerting that only after a man is murdered, that they can see that.

Yes, today is a good day to be an American, just as yesterday was and tomorrow will be. We have accomplished our goals in eliminating a major world threat. Now, to dwell on his demise is to sink to his level. Cultivating contempt for him and for his people is no better than what they do to others. The death of Osama bin Laden is a step forward in many ways, but hatred and war will sadly continue on in his absence. Hating them is not the path towards the world becoming a safer, more peaceful community. Instead, we need more communication, cooperation and love. 

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.


But, I must say I am surprised the Republicans believed he was dead without having published a death certificate.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment